Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Rough Night

The prettiest tree that I have at my house is a Southern Magnolia Tree. This thing is absolutely beautiful. I apparently planted it in a perfect place for it to withstand wind and weather. I have been complimented on its beauty many times. I take care of my trees and shrubs, and this one is by far the best.

This past weekend, we had the remnants of Ernesto hit us in Pa. It was a windy, and rainy miserable couple of days. Friday night into Saturday was the worst. The kids and I do not like sleeping in such conditions, and I knew it was going to be a long night. I decided to take the kids into my room, and let Vicki sleep in one of the other beds. This way, she could get a good night of sleep, and I would tend to the scared little boys. So the wind is howling and the rain is pelting the house, and the boys and me are just staring at the ceiling. We were huddled up in the middle of the bed with our stuffed animals and blankets. We were braving the storm, when the noise started. It was a scratching, clawing noise. It was spooky.

“What is that?” asked a scared Luke. “I don’t know buddy, why don’t you go check it out?” I replied. He wouldn’t do it. So I turned to Kyle and begged him to go check it out. He wanted no parts of it. The noise was eerie, and I was not about to get out from under the blankets. My kids were way to scared to move, and I was too chicken to move. I tried calling for my wife. She was resting comfortably in Luke’s room. She could not hear my calls for help. She is the checker-outer in our house. She was not there to comfort us boys. I finally mustered up some courage to go check the noise. I told the boys that they were grounded for a week, for making me do it, but I did. I went over to the window, and looked outside. My Southern Magnolia Tree was scratching against the siding of the house, and banging on the window.

In one swift cat-like motion I dove back into bed, and under my pillow. I made the boys hold me, and we all fell off to sleep. Well, I slept with one eye open. On Monday, the weather was better. So I went out in the front yard and made some changes. I now have a Southern Magnolia Twig in my front yard. I Charlie Browned that Magnolia. There will be no more scratching on my window. My boys are banned from any fun for a week. They need to toughen up. They can be such scaredy-cats sometimes. They need to grow up.

9 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

Are you kidding!?! You did not cut down your best tree because it scratch on the window in a tropical storm, did you? LawnWhisperer, you let your fears take over your pride in your lawn and garden? I just can't believe that! ;)

11:49 AM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

I am sure it was probably the Vole and the Groundhog and the mice that were making the noise. They were out there rattling the tree to make you cut it down.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your punishment should be to watch the storm scene from Poltergeist - with the lights out!

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

L.W. That tree was the best! What did you do to it? Calm down my little scaredy cat! Call me when the rains come and I'll sing you a lullabye. You BIG BABY!

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH...like anyone is buying that you had even stuffed animals in the bed! Maybe if you were left out in a storm instead of that toy store you'd be a little tougher.

9:50 PM  
Blogger sari said...

Anyone that can use Charlie Brown as a verb is ok in my book.

Try to let that tree grow back out though, ok? Magnolia's are the best! Maybe you could've just put a little...mitten-type-thing on the branch or something, so it could scratch a little more quietly.

Well, maybe next time.

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.. Can you say 'Therapy' those poor boys!!!

Actually what were you thinking putting a Southern Tree in a Northern territory... hmmm and you call yourself a Lawnwhisperer!!

You should check out my 10 Northern Shrubs (I can't spell arborvitis ?!@#) and my lawn is as green as the Hulk after he gets pissed!!

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the song Sugar Magnolia from the Grateful Dead.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You scratch my window... I'll scratch yours.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here